Sophomore (2016-17): Went 4-12 in singles action and 4-12 in doubles play… Won back-to-back singles matches at the No. 2 spot from April 2 to April 8… Won her singles and doubles matches on the same day three separate times… Went 4-9 at No. 2 singles, playing the remaining three at No. 1… Teamed with three different doubles partners, winning two each with Jackie Lee and Aubree Johnson… Went 3-6 at No. 1 doubles and 1-6 at No. 2.
Freshman (2015-16): Went 4-5 at the No. 3 singles flight for the Marlins on the year… Defeated Guilford and Lynchburg in ODAC play… Teamed with Jackie Lee to win three straight doubles matches from March 6-11, spanning contests with Guilford, Penn State-Abington, and Hollins… Earned an 8-4 win over Shenandoah at No. 2 doubles with partner Kellen Phillips.
Before VWU: Played varsity tennis as a freshman and senior in high school... Made the league All-Star team as a senior... Member of Varsity Club, Minithon, and FBLA in high school.
Personal: Daughter of Steve Staman and Beth Bacon... Katie has six siblings: Emily, Brighid, Tierney, Rory, Ryan, and Matthew... Her dad, Steve, played tennis at Franklin & Marshall College.
Get to Know Katie
- Enjoys reading, painting, listening to music and I love Harry Potter
- Fan of Rafael Nadal, the Green Bay Packers, and Penn State football
- Favorites include the Harry Potter movies, the TV series "How I Meet Your Mother" and "Gilmore Girls," and historical fiction books
- Self-description in 10 words or less: "Hardworking, dedicated, and outgoing"
- My favorite aspect of being an athlete is: "the feeling of being on the court and feeling like anything is possible. Even on days when I'm playing my worst I'm learning how to grow as not only a player but as a person."
- If you could spend one day with a famous person from any time period, who would it be and why?: "I would love to play tennis with Rafael Nadal. We are both left-handed so I admire his game a lot and it would be cool to hit with someone at the professional level."
- People might be surprised to know this about me...: "I've been playing tennis since I was four years old and my mom, dad, and all of my sisters play. one of my favorite things about the sport is being able to play with my sisters."
- It’s the year 2030 and I am doing this...: “Hopefully I will be pursuing a career in marketing and advertising for a sports team as well as helping out in youth ministry. Maybe married with kids depending on how my life goes.”