Guilford Springs 1-0 Upset on Marlins
GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Guilford College was held to just eight shots, four on goal, but it only took one as the Quaker women's soccer team upset Virginia Wesleyan on Saturday in Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) action.
Guilford found the back of the net on just its second shot of the game as Morgan Sleeth found Morgan Henderson along the right side, who dribbled towards the goal before taking the game-deciding shot.
Becca Banks made 11 saves for Guilford to keep the pressing Marlin offense off the board. Megan Gerhart finished with three saves for Virginia Wesleyan.
VWC held a large advantage in shots, 26-8, and a 5-3 edge in corner kicks over Guilford (6-9-1/3-6 ODAC).
Virginia Wesleyan (9-2/7-2) will look to bounce back from losses in two of the last three ODAC contests on Wednesday with a matchup with No. 4 ranked Lynchburg College (15-2-1/8-0-1).
ODAC TOURNAMENT UPDATE
The top eight teams make the ODAC tournament. Quarterfinal games will be played on the site of the higher seed. The highest seed remaining will then host the semfinals and finals. A loss by Emory & Henry, or another win by Guilford will lock in the top eight teams with only seeds to be determined.
Below are the current standings with games left in conference play only listed to the right.
1. Lynchburg (8-0-1 - 25 pts.) - 2 left (vs. Virginia Wesleyan, at Emory & Henry)
2. Washington and Lee (8-2 - 24 pts.) - 1 left (vs. Emory & Henry)
3. Shenandoah (7-1-1 - 22 pts.) - 2 left (at Bridgewater, vs. Guilford)
4. Virginia Wesleyan (7-2 - 21 pts.) - 2 left (at Lynchburg, vs. Bridgewater)
5. Bridgewater (5-2-1 - 16 pts.) - 2 left (vs. Shenandoah, at Virginia Wesleyan)
6. Roanoke (5-5 - 15 pts.) - 1 left (vs. Hollins)
t7. Randolph (3-5 - 9 pts.) 3 left (at Bridgwater, at Randolph-Macon, vs. Eastern Mennonite)
t7. Randolph-Macon (3-6 - 9 pts.) - 2 left (vs. Hollins, vs. Randolph)
t7. Guilford (3-6 - 9 pts.) 2 left (vs. Bridgewater, at Shenandoah)
9. Emory & Henry (1-6-1 - 5 pts.) 2 left (at Washington and Lee, vs. Lynchburg)